Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Week of "DON'Ts"- Learning What Not to Do When Dancing

I have decided that I really enjoy writing a blog post the day after my dance lesson.  It is a great way to notate and remember all the helpful tips I learned the day before.  Many of the tips I this week were related to habits I should NOT do when dancing.  I will start by relaying those tips before discussing the new steps I learned this week.

In West Coast Swing, I should NOT be bending my wrist in a funky way every time somebody turns me. I actually do this constantly so it is clearly a bad habit I have developed.  I need to focus on keeping my wrist ramrod straight and in line with my arm so that I can have a better connection with my partner.

In Night Club, I should NOT be dancing on my toes OR looking at my toes. These are both these I do CONSTANTLY.  Night Club should be danced low to the floor with slightly bent legs.   I also should NOT dance Night Club completely upright.  Rather I need to be applying tension to my connection with my partner (much like in West Coast Swing) and leaning up and over the connection (and back into the man's hand).

In Cha Cha, I should NOT be fearful to open up my arm and side during the crossover breaks as the footwork looks more natural that way.  And in Two Step, I should NOT just turn blindly - I should turn while posting properly so that I can properly stabilize myself and prepare for my next move down the line of dance.

So this week is about me beating my bad habits and hopefully trying to avoid all my little idiosyncrasies. I will also be focusing on the basic pattern and footfall for Waltz.  Basically I am going to practice awkwardly walking around my house doing the waltz rise and fall footwork which is heel-toe, toe, toe-heal.

So this may be the week of DON'Ts for improving my dance technique but it is also the week that I start learning my fifth and final dance- Waltz!!! I am very excited about this.  If I can learn my routine for Waltz by the end of May that means that I have all of June to refine my dance technique for competition.  Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment