Thursday, May 7, 2015

Finalizing the Night Club Routine (And Perfecting Cha Cha and Two Step)

This week I worked on finalizing my night club routine.  Does it look beautiful and am I holding my head and body correctly through the routine? Absolutely not! Can I remember the footwork? Mostly…. So learning the remainder of the Night Club footwork was not too tricky as Night Club came slightly easier to me than Cha Cha.  The hard part about Night Club is really just learning how to hold your head and your body.  The frame for Night Club is wide and spacious and similar to how you would hold your body for any ballroom dance.  The lady must allow her back to completely compress up and over into the man’s hand (almost as if leaning backwards) with every turn.  This looks gorgeous and feels….unpleasant.  For me, it definitely feels unnatural. 

The other hard part of Night Club is forcing myself to stay “down low” on my feet.  Night Club looks beautiful if you take long strides and bend your knees, flexing towards the floor.  It looks awkward if you dance how I do on my tippy toes.  So I will be working on improving all these things this week.  I also really struggled with some of the arm movements especially for the move called “Sliding Doors”.  In this move you must extend your arms as you move your feet and it is almost like trying to rub your tummy and scratch your head at the same time.  In any case, when I tried to focus on my arms I completely lost track of my feet and vice versa. Room for improvement? Hah-most definitely! J

This week, I also worked on fine tuning my Cha Cha routine..  I think I finally have the footwork down- hooray! Alas, I am moving my body very rigidly without fluid motions-in short I am not moving my hips enough- sigh…. So I will need to practice moving my hips on my own so I can train my body.  I also need to practice dancing with my toes pointed out instead of turned in.  This makes the lines for Cha Cha look much better and makes the dance more comfortable. 

In the last part of my lesson we ran through my Two Step routine which oddly felt the most comfortable! I still feel like I am turning a million miles an hour through the routine and at times getting dizzy but mostly I feel comfortable.  Now I just need to get to this comfort level with the other dances….

No comments:

Post a Comment