Thursday, June 25, 2015

Don't Think - Just Dance! (One Week From Competition)

How does one feel one week out from a dance competition? Overwhelmed, nervous, excited, apprehensive, stressed, elated- yes perhaps all of these things.  I'll tell you how it feels.  It feels like someone asked you what you did last weekend and while you are telling them about how you had two drinks with your friend you are already halfway through your Waltz routine.

Why does it feel like that?  Because that is totally what Brian did to me during my last lesson.  No warm up, no pre-dancing. Just a hey how are you and by the way we are waltzing right now.  And I got through it!!! I think that is what the week before competition feels like.  It feels like you can go out and perform any of your routines at a drop of a hat without someone cheer leading you or giving you any notice or warning.  And that feels good!

Of course there are still things I am working on- like perpetually bending my knees in Waltz and Night Club so that I can stay low to the ground, or focusing on my Two Step form so that I can turn faster.  Or even keeping my fingers stretched and pointed out so that the dance energy flows and I have good arm lines.

But really this week is about feeling comfortable with all my routines which I do! I am more terrified that I am going to injure myself this week as I am extremely prone to injury and I already injured my knee running two days ago.  So I think I may just wrap myself in bubble wrap and stay in my dance happy world and not think about the fact that it is ONE WEEK TIL COMPETITION!

1 comment: